CFSA Esquimalt - 2023 Opening Day Ceremony
On behalf of all the members of the Canadian Forces Sailing Association Esquimalt, Commodore Ben Sproule invites you and your guests to our
Opening Day Ceremony on Sunday 30 April 2023
Guests will gather at the new Pacific Fleet Club at 1200 for a “Meet and Greet” until 1315 when the official Opening Day Ceremony will take place at the flagstaff located nearest building N50 in the gravel area overlooking the new CFSA marina. A map is on the next page for your reference.
On completion of the ceremony, members and guests will be invited to crew their boats for a sail past which is scheduled to commence at 1445.
After the sail past, all members and guests are invited back to the Pacific Fleet Club where awards will be presented for “best dressed boat”, “best dressed crew”, and “best sail past”.
Please RSVP by Monday 10 April 2023, and be sure to include in your reply the name of your guests, moorage requirements, and if you would like to participate in the sail past. Please also let us know if you have any dietary preferences or food allergies so that we can provide a snack for everybody.
We look forward to seeing you at CFSA to celebrate the start of another sailing season!
RSVP: Kurtis Paddle (Rear Commodore) at firstname.lastname@example.org
CFSA Esquimalt – 2023 Opening Day Ceremony Itinerary
1200 hrs New Pacific Fleet Club - Meet and Greet. Guest Registration. Light Lunch.
1315 hrs Guest of Honour arrives. Guests and club members proceed to the flagstaff near the gravel parking lot. Commodore, Guest of Honour, Executive and Past Commodores form up in front of N50.
1325 hrs Piper leads Commodore and company from the front door to the flagstaff.
1330 hrs Flag raising. Band plays O Canada and God Save the King. Hoist the Church Pennant. Blessing & Prayers. Band plays Eternal Father. Haul down the Church Pennant. Commodore’s Address. Guest of Honour’s address.
1415 hrs Instructions for the Sail Past. Commodore invites members and guests to “Crew your boats!” Piper leads skippers and crew down to STC dock.
1445 hrs Sail Past begins. On completion, all return to the Fleet Club, at which time awards will be presented (Best Dressed Boat, Best Sail Past and Best Dressed Crew).
1700 hrs Fleet Club closes.
CFSA warmly welcomes all visitors. General parking is available in front of building N50. Please respect that this event is on Military property.
Should you require moorage, please indicate so on your RSVP to the Rear Commodore, Kurtis Paddle, at email@example.com. Washroom facilities are located outside of the Seamanship Training Centre and the Fleet Club. CFSA Esquimalt – 2023 Opening Day Ceremony Itinerary Boats shall sail past the reviewing vessel on a beam reach in the following order:
1. Racing Class, led by Fleet Captain;
2. Cruising Class (including power and visiting boats), led by Class Captain; and
3. Dinghy Class, led by Class Captain.
● Distance between Classes – 6 Boat lengths.
● Distance between boats in a given Class – 1 to 1 ½ boat lengths.
● Use auxiliary power if necessary.
● Attempt to pass thirty feet from the reviewing vessel.
● Fleet Captain will indicate procedures prior to setting sail with regards to weather and wind. Any communication will be passed over VHF Channel 68.
1. Crew shall stand (if practical) or sit upright facing the Commodore.
2. Dip the ensign or let the jib fly.
3. Skipper shall salute Commodore - headdress should be worn.
4. Re-hoist the ensign.
5. Crew may give “Three Cheers”.
● Best Dressed Boat
● Best Sail Past
● Best Dressed Crew
● Dress flags throughout the day are encouraged (except during the Sail Past).