Message from the Queen's Harbourmaster
The following is a messge from the Queen's Harbourmaster for Esquimalt Harbour:
As a result of the increased level of activity in the Harbour and the need to coordinate safe operations, the current 7 knot speed restriction has been reviewed and a new one will be promulgated by message shortly. The attached chart shows the new speed zones and is forwarded to you for dissemination within your lines to all users.
Safe Speed is defined under the International Regulations for the “Prevention of Collisions at Sea” and should be understood by all mariners. No wake is a clear term and it is the responsibility of boat Coxns-ship’s masters to understand their wake and comply.
This update will apply to all users including Contractors and CFSA.
The following signal is being sent through Naval lines from QHM:
- THE SCOPE AND PACE OF CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS FOR BRAVO JETTY, SMALL BOAT FLOATS, PSPC GRAVING DOCK EXPANSION, VARIOUS HARBOUR REMEDIATION PROJECTS, BLASTING PROGRAMS AND DIVING OPERATIONS, HAS INCREASED THE COMPLEXITY OF VESSEL OPERATIONS AND MOVEMENT WITHIN ESQUIMALT HARBOUR. THEREFORE, IT IS TIME TO UPDATE THE REGULATIONS GOVERNING SAFE OPERATIONS IN THE HARBOUR. NOTE THAT THIS CHANGE WILL APPLY TO ALL VESSELS OPERATING IN ESQUIMALT HARBOUR AT ALL TIMES
- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SEVEN KNOT SPEED RESTRICTION IN ESQUIMALT HARBOUR IS RESCINDED AND WILL BE REPLACED BY A QUOTE SAFE SPEED ZONE UNQUOTE AND A QUOTE NO-WAKE ZONE UNQUOTE AS DETAILED IN PARA THREE. A SMALL CHARTLET, FOR VISUAL REF, IS BEING PRODUCED AND WILL BE SHARED THROUGH THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, TO ENSURE AWARENESS AND COMPLIANCE
- ESQUIMALT HARBOUR WILL BE DIVIDED BY A LINE DRAWN BETWEEN GRANT KNOLL AND ASHE HEAD. ALL VESSEL OPERATIONS TO THE WEST OF THIS LINE WILL BE LIMITED TO QUOTE SAFE SPEED UNQUOTE AS DEFINED BY COLREGS. VESSEL OPERATIONS TO THE EAST OF THIS LINE WILL BE RESTRICTED TO QUOTE NO WAKE UNQUOTE. NO WAKE OPERATIONS WILL TYPICALLY MEAN SPEEDS OF LESS THAN FIVE KNOTS. OPERATIONS TO THE EAST WILL BE FURTHER RESTRICTED IN EARLY 2020 WHEN THE BRAVO JETTY WORK EXPANDS AND THE QUOTE NO TRANSIT ZONE UNQUOTE IS ESTABLISHED. THESE DETAILS WILL BE UPDATED, IN DUE COURSE, ONCE THE BRAVO JETTY WORK COMMENCES
- AS ALWAYS, PRIOR TO ENTERING OR EXITING THE HARBOUR, ALL VESSELS MUST CHECK IN WITH QHM OPS ON VHF CHANNEL 10 OR AT 3-2160, TO RECEIVE THE LATEST ADVISORIES ON DIVING, BLASTING, AND OTHER RESTRICTIONS IN THE HARBOUR. HCIS WILL BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE
- QUESTIONS TO QHM OPS AT 3-2160