CASCADIAN CONVOY - UPDATE 1
Thank you for registering you interest in the Cascadian Convoy long distance sailing event. We wanted to give everyone an update on how things are looking. It has been really great speaking with so many excited sailors about this event.
If you haven't registered your interest, you can do so here: https://www.cfsaesq.ca/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=36&noFullMsg=true
You can learn more with our Notice of Intent to Sail
To be honest: we are worried by the prospects of a second wave of COVID-19 impacting this event. So, to keep the hope alive, please practice social distancing, follow the rules and keep our province and region healthy!
So far, if the event were to go off with the current COVID rules we would be looking at an event that has the following constraints:
- Crews of no more than 6
- Only members of your bubble in your crew
- Not an official competition / limited prizes
- No party, no event, show up at the start line and race
- We are looking at delivering swag bags and food to those on the start line
- Moorage would not be offered at our club
We've identified four race courses:
- Long Distance - Esquimalt Harbour - Brotchie Ledge - Pt Renfrew fairway buoy - Esquimalt Harbour (101nm)
- Long Distance (US Shadow) a 101nm race from Pt Angeles to Neah Bay and back running at the same time as the Canadian Race.
- Medium Distance - Esquimalt Harbour - Brotchie Ledge - Secretary Island off Sooke - Esquimalt Harbour (34 nm)
- Short Course - 12-16nm depending on the conditions of the day
Right now the biggest organisational concern centers around the equipment and tracking requirements. The Swiftsure SPOT trackers are not available for this race. That means that we must go to a commercial provider. With the low Canadian Dollar we are looking at a cost of $150 per boat just for tracking to a level similar to Swiftsure. From a safety perspective, we are looking at setting up VHF check-in points along the long distance route with volunteers in RVs.
We've put together a quick survey to gauge people's interest and thoughts on the race. Please participate here:
We are very excited to be working with Blast Performance Sailing and the VanIsle360 team. October is coming up very quickly and the fall will be a very bust time, hopefully with some kind of sailing!
We look forward to hearing from you and keeping the dream alive!
The Convoy Team at CFSA