CANADIAN FORCES SAILING ASSOCIATION
Notice of Race
TERRIFYING TEAM TOURNEY
1. RULES The Regatta is governed by the following:
• The rules as defined in The Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS)
• The applicable Optimist Class Rules
• This Notice of Race, the Sailing Instructions and any Amendments
• The prescriptions of Sail Canada that will apply (if any) will be posted on the Official Notice
• If there is a conflict between languages, the English text will take precedence 2.
2. ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
2.1 The regatta is open to Optimist Class dinghy teams. In order to compete, sailors must be
a minimum of seven years old as of June 16, 2018. This follows recommendations of BC
Sailing for BC Circuit events.
2.2 Online registration (preferred) will be available as of 25 September. See the Racing
Page at https://www.cfsaesq.ca/. Participants under the age of 18 must also have the online
Waiver signed by a parent or guardian; completed waivers will be collected on race day
2.3 Check in must be done in person at the CFSA Registration Desk on the dates and times
stated at paragraph 4.
2.4 Payment can only be made in person at the CFSA Check in Desk on the dates and
times stated at paragraph 4.
2.4 Teams will be seeded by the results of a costume contest held at the competitors
meeting and preference will be given to teams dressed in themed costumes.
2.5 Preliminary team size and number of teams will be determined by 20 October in
coordination with coaches. Teams should have a mix of abilities and be a cross section of
the Optimist (Red, Blue, White and Green) fleets.
3.1 Entry fees are $15.00 CAD
3.2 Fees include a pizza dinner ticket(s) and a soft-drink ticket - tax included. Extra dinner
tickets are $10 CAD each.
3.3 Payment by cash or cheque only. Cheques, payable to the Canadian Forces Sailing
Association, should include the Sailors name on the Memo line. US currency will be
accepted at par.
4.1 Saturday, October 27
● 0830-1000 Check in, Payment and waivers in the Clubhouse.
● 1015 Coaches and Support Boat meeting in the Training Room
● 1045 Teams posted and order of the first round posted,
● 1045 Competitors meeting on foreshore
● 1157 Warning Signal first race,
● 1700 Pizza arrives and party begins
5. SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
All teams will be given at least two races. This will be a double elimination tournament
Sailing Instructions will be available no later than 21 October on the CFSA website ~ see the
Racing Page at https://www.cfsaesq.ca/. Only limited printed copies will be made available
on the day of the race.
6. VENUE AND RACING AREAS Annex A shows the location of the Regatta Harbour and
Venue. Annex B shows the location of the racing areas.
7. COURSES Courses will be as defined in the Sailing Instructions.
8. SAFETY Competitors shall wear a flotation device at all times while on the water. This
changes RRS 40 and the preamble to Part 4. All boats shall carry an 8m long buoyant line.
9. PENALTY SYSTEM
9.1 RRS 44.1 is changed so that the Two-Turns penalty is replaced by the One-Turn
10. SCORING SYSTEM
10.1 The low point scoring system of RRS Appendix A will apply.
10.2 A team must lose two races to be eliminated
11. SUPPORT BOATS Coach and other support boats must be registered, shall carry VHF
Radios. Attendance at the Coaches' meetings in the Training Room is mandatory. Failure to
comply may result in a team penalty at the discretion of the Jury.
12. RADIO COMMUNICATION
With the exception of safety or reporting retirement from a race, boats shall neither make
radio transmissions nor receive radio communications not available to all boats. This
restriction also applies to mobile telephones.
13. WATER Competitors are encouraged to bring their own refillable water bottles. Please
help reduce plastic waste.
Prizes will be awarded determined upon close of registration
15. DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY Competitors participate in the regatta and each race
entirely at their own risk. See RRS 4, Decision to Race. The organizing authority will not
accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction
with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.
16. INSURANCE Each participating boat shall be insured with minimum third-party liability
coverage of $300,000 USD for USA and non-Canadian residents and $1,000,000 CAD for
17. FURTHER INFORMATION
• https://www.cfsaesq.ca/ (to be updated)
• Telephone ~ CFSA Clubhouse - 250-385-2646
• Jennifer Harvey, Organizing Authority ~ email@example.com
Regatta Harbour and Venue